Monday, August 11, 2014

Oh the People You Will Meet!

Over these last few days, I've been really thinking about how my life has and will change since being placed with Zido. I mean I'll NEVER be able to blend into the crowd again. People will probably think I'm blind if I dare wear sunglasses. Strangers are guaranteed to label me before they say one word to me. And to be perfectly honest, that scares me. I'm used to being able to blend or even hide in the background sometimes. I'm used to being able to put in my headphones on the metro and no one thinks twice of me. But in just 61 days 7 hours 16 minutes and 27 seconds (no one's counting...), my entire world will be flipped upside down.
I've caught myself getting pretty anxious about this when I think of it that way. But thankfully, I have met some AMAZING people that have helped me realize that my world will be flipped, but I won't stop living. In fact, I'll be able to live in ways that I never have before.
The first person that I met through this process was a woman named Toni. We ran into her THE DAY AFTER I ever heard about Canine Partners at the Panera by my house. I noticed her dog had a harness on that said "Canine Partners for Life" and my jaw dropped. No way after 24 hours of even knowing about this company would I run into someone who actually has a dog from them. I got Toni's attention and she sat with my mom and me for 45 minutes answering every question we had about the process and about life with a dog. The amazing thing is that she lives in my local area, so I know I will have a support group right around me whenever I need it. Also, I found out that her dog, Bud, and Zido have the same mom! So they're half brothers! Chills.
The next amazing woman I met was Caitlin. I've mentioned her and her dog Forest in a previous post. Caitlin was the one who gave me my first tour of CPL and after she asked me what my story was, she explained that her condition is incredibly similar to mine. She was the first person that I have ever talked to who completely understands that going to Target is like asking to almost faint! *Sidenote: we have no idea why Target sets us off. We think it's the reflection of the lighting off of the floor. Not bashing Target. I love them. Seriously...Target is a college girl's best friend* If that wasn't cool enough, Forest actually alerted me during our tour of the facilities. He sensed my heart rate and wouldn't let me walk until it calmed down. That was the moment my mom, sister, and I knew that this was real and this needed to happen.
There has been one girl, though, that I know has shaped this entire experience for me to be something that is both exciting and amazing. Her name is Danielle, and I met her and her dog, Rollo, in June when I went up to observe Team Training. I've asked her if I could talk about her and Rollo because she has been so influential in my journey with Zido.
Danielle has been living with two conditions: cataplexy and narcolepsy. I've heard parts of her story and it is so humbling and amazing. In fact, Rollo is actually the first dog that CPL has trained for these conditions! Danielle is an upcoming senior in high school down in Georgia and she is by far one of the wisest and sweetest girls I have ever met.

Here's her baby, Rollo. Just adorable!

Last night, Danielle and I were messaging about life, dogs, and school. I was asking her questions about how her life has changed and if she has really found a difference in her conditions since coming home with Rollo. And this is what she said:
"The biggest thing is that I know he is there for me. He is there to help me down and back up after my attack. He is laying next to me when I cannot move. He is there and will not leave my side. I am not scared anymore to go out. I am not scared anymore to take a nap in public in fear I won't wake up to my alarm because I know he will. He has brought me peace. He has given me my confidence back so when my friends invite me to go out to the football game I will go and not worry about when and where my next nap or attack will be and if someone will think I'm drunk or hurt me or take advantage of me. Rollo will be there."

I about cried when I read that. She has taken what God has given her and when regular people would sit back and complain, she has gotten up and lived. Danielle, you are seriously a huge inspiration for me and I can't wait to get to know you more and hopefully set up a time for Rollo and Zido to get together again (they used to be kennel mates!).
Well that's about it for now. Thank you so much to everyone who has been following my blog and for those of you that have made donations for Zido and I. In just 2 days, you have gotten me almost half way to my goal! Words cannot express how grateful I am :)
Love and blessings,
Zee and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment