Friday, August 8, 2014

Can't Sleep

I've been up for hours now (and it's only 7:30am...) just reading through everyone's comments and thinking about how incredibly blessed I am for all of you. Words can't describe the appreciation I have for how accepting everyone is!
I figured I might take the time to explain more about when I met Zido. CPL called me to say that they had a dog that they wanted me to meet. He was a super sweet boy who's previous partner had to give him back to the organization for personal reasons. So of course I planned the SOONEST moment that I could meet him. They didn't tell me his name or anything about him...just that we should meet. 
Now I'm going to pause this for a second to see if anyone has been on a blind date before? And I mean BLIND date. Like you don't know who this person is but your friends think you would be great together? Well that's kind of what this was like. 
Anyway so my dad and I drove the 2.5 hours up to CPL and about an hour away, I started getting a migraine. Perfect timing, right? I thought to myself "Man I wish I could have a dog that would alert me to these,too. But I'm getting a cardiac alert dog so he/she probably wouldn't sense migraines too..."
Well we finally arrived and I practically jumped out of the car before it fully stopped. Migraine or not, I'm meeting this dog! I walked into the office (which is really in a little house) and one of the employees (Caitlin) came out to greet me with her dog Forest. She called a trainer in, Annie, and Annie had with her 3 dogs. Which was mine?
This one dog came right up to me and licked my leg. I thought this was strange since they're trained to not do stuff like that on harness but whatever, he was being sweet. We walked to the training facility and that same dog licked my leg again. I said "Aww kisses" and Annie asked me "Actually are you feeling okay?" I said "To be honest, I have a migraine". Her response was "Yeah this one is actually super sensitive to people. He can sense anything that makes them not feel well and he's alerting you to your migraine". Can we all guess who that special dog was?
Once we got to the training building, I walked with the other 2 dogs, and while they were both super sweet, there wasn't really a connection. Then came Zido.
I took a few steps with him and it was like the heavens opened up and the angels were singing. Okay maybe not THAT dramatic but it was pretty freaking awesome. He knew me. I knew him. It was beautiful. 
I knelt down with him after walking and he just kept licking my palm as if to say "Yes you taste great, but PLEASE pay attention to what I'm trying to tell you". Annie asked me if I thought I was ready for THIS fall and I told her "Definitely." That's when she said the words I have been waiting months to hear: "Well I would love to pair you with Zido."
Needless to say, I broke down, my dad started tearing up, pictures were taken, and my life was changed forever. Since he was in harness, I asked Annie if I could take him to meet my dad. She told him to pet him now because once we start training, he can't interact with Zido for many months. 


Here's a picture of my dad first meeting Zee. He told me it felt like I was bringing a new boyfriend home and that boyfriend was trying to tell him "It's okay sir, I promise to take good care of her."


We all sat and talked for a little bit and Zee got pretty bored with it all...


After walking around a little bit more, it was time to say goodbye. I gave him a good hug and kiss and told him I'll see him next week (my parents and I have to go up for some observation) and that was it. We walked away and the phone calls began. 
So that's the beginning of my forever and I'll keep you all updated on future meetings with Zee and when I will start fundraising.
Love and blessings,
Zee and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment