Thursday, May 11, 2017

Sick Bubba

So far on this blog, I've shared many positive and fun aspects of life with a service dog, as well as the dramatic daily interactions. But today's post is more about the day to day reality of my life with Zee. Unfortunately, I'm home sick for the 2nd day this week but for the first time it's not me who's sick. Zido's had an upset tummy for a few days and I took him to the vet when I found blood in his stool. The vet said on Monday that there doesn't appear to be any foreign objects or worrisome lumps so he gave me some meds to help with the colitis he's showing. We took Tuesday off and were able to go back to work yesterday, but by the end of the day, I could tell he wasn't doing very well. His personality was pretty down and he would lay down as soon as we were standing somewhere for more than 5 seconds. His appetite is still there (but let's be real, he's a lab. I'm pretty sure if we removed his stomach, he would still have an appetite...) but what's really worrying me is that he won't drink much water. I've been giving him ice but he's ducking away when I try to give him any normal water. We've been to the vet again today where they're testing him for other bacteria or foreign bodies, so I'm praying for fast results and an even faster recovery! They've also given him some fluids so I don't have to be too worried about dehydration. We're so blessed with the vet that we have because they take the whole picture into account. They don't just see a sick dog. They see a sick lifeline who's health affects more than just the dog. It impacts the partner's ability to go to work and the dog's ability to do his job.

Having a sick pet is already pretty heartbreaking because they're so innocent and you can't talk to them to figure it out. Having a sick service dog is almost devastating because he puts up such a stoic front when I know he just doesn't like showing me he's sick. His whole life is dedicated to making me healthy, so he's not used to being the one who needs help. Life with a service dog is an endless guessing game of "What are you trying to tell me?" It's staying home from work because the other half of you is sick. It's spending whatever needs to be spent to help him. It's being there for him like he's always been there for me. I wish I had something happier and peppier to share, but for now I'm just a worried mom. Please send up prayers for a fast recovery and good rest for my little man!


I'm hoping he feels better soon, because we have a big weekend ahead of us! On Saturday night, Zido and I will have the honor of sharing our story at CPL's annual Unleashed and Uncorked event! We're always so excited to give a personal testimony of the wonders of service dogs and what better venue than a fancy event where we get to play dress-up? Information for the event can be found here, so check it out! I can't wait to share with you all about it afterwards!


Love and blessings,

Zee and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment