Thursday, May 19, 2016

Big Things Are Happening...

   So it's been a bit since the last time I wrote for you all! I want to thank Miss Michelle for sharing her story of sweet little Keona and I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. It's always nice to hear another person's journey and be able to witness the amazing addition dogs make to this world.

   The main reason why I wasn't able to write on here was my end-of-the-semester final exam schedule! As you all can imagine, it's not exactly the most relaxing time in a student's life. Basically, my life consisted of wake up, shower, get dressed, study, school, take care of Zido, try to eat, get home, sleep, repeat. Also, mix in with that the job applications and interviews and you have yourself a certifiably exhausted Courtney. But in other news.......

ZIDO AND I GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE!


   That's right! Zee and I are officially graduates of George Mason University! After four years at the school that changed my life, I had the privilege of crossing the stage with the dog that changed my life. There's nothing quite like waiting in the tunnel at the Eagle Bank Arena (formerly and forever in my heart known as the Patriot Center), hearing the voices of the classmates you've been with for four long years cheer and chant as we prepare for the gate to slide open. Soaking in the cheering of our loved ones on the other side and finally filing into the arena was the most surreal feeling I've ever had.

   After what seemed like forever and a split-second all at the same time, the speeches were done and it was time to head up to the stage. Before coming in, we were given a card to write our names on and had to include the phonetic spelling for the announcers. At the urging of my neighboring graduates, I snagged a second card and wrote "Zido Simmons -- Z-EYE-DOE (sounds like Fido)." When I was next in line, I handed Dr. Muir my cards and whispered, "The top one is me. The bottom is my dog." He winked and said "You got it."

   What followed was the most emotional moment of my entire night:


To hear both of our names called along with the response from the crowd was so overwhelmingly amazing that I had to take a moment after getting back to my seat to catch my breath and fully comprehend the support in that building. It's been a week since that night and I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

   To prepare for the night, I made sure Zido was just as decked out as I was! I decorated both of our caps and was blessed to borrow a green dog graduation cap and gown from Danielle and Rollo in Georgia. I had a tough time deciding what to say on the caps, but settled on a FRIENDS reference for mine (since I've watched the entire series 2 times...no shame...) and an incredibly true statement for Zido's:

Can you guess whose is whose?

   I was so blessed to have my sister fly in from Georgia and Miss Michelle fly in from Arizona for the big day! I seriously could not have imagined graduating without the two of them in the audience. Since I had Zido, the coordinators of the graduation had me go a little bit away from the rest of the crowd so I could get to an outside seat. It worked PERFECTLY because my family just so happened to choose a section right next to the floor, so when I walked back from the stage, I was able to pass by and give them hugs and kisses.


   I also want to give a huge thank you to one of my best friends, Ally, my small group co-leader, Amanda, and her husband/Director of Student Ministry at New Hope Church/one of my dearest friends, Tommy, for coming to the graduation to cheer Zido and me on! And of course to my parents, my brother, and Zack for supporting me throughout these four years and for coming to every award ceremony and graduation! I couldn't do it without any of them.

   The entire night seemed to pass by in the blink of an eye, but before I knew it, the dean was announcing us as the "Class of 2016!" School is OFFICIALLY out of session! I'm so thankful for the love and support my friends and family have given me throughout my time at school. Because of them, and the protection Zido gives me on a daily basis, I was able to graduate summa cum laude with a 3.99 GPA (dang COMM 300: "Rhetorical Analysis" from my spring semester of sophomore year with that stupid A-.....)  While my journey at Mason is over, my life is really just beginning. I will now be heading into the world with a Bachelor of Arts in communication with a concentration in media production and criticism and a minor in criminology. What I'll do with that...we shall see!

   I'm so thankful for my time at Mason and for the friends I made. It hasn't hit yet that I'm done with school (until my master's of course), but I trust that with Christ, all things are possible!

   Here's a few more pictures from the big day! Up next on Zee and Me: "Zido Goes to Preschool"

All decked out and ready to go...but first...let me get some kisses...


Can't forget George!

And of course this handsome man :)

My friend, Lori, and I right after we filed in!
Love and blessings,
Zee and Me

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Courtney. Welcome to the (ugh!) working world now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, and I loved every second of watching you two graduate!!! Now get some rest before you join the working world - once that starts, the graduation date is a LONG ways away ��

    ReplyDelete